Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Research Proves Very Touching

Being a mom, I have a hard time not scruffing students fondly on the head. But I restrain myself, not wanting to mess up hair, cross an invisible boundary, or make anyone feel like a baby. (Not to mention: I wouldn't want anyone touching my hair at school -- it's such a germy place.) I was pleased to see this story in yesterday's New York Times spotlighting research findings that "students who received a supportive touch on the back or arm from a teacher were nearly twice as likely to volunteer in class as those who did not." Little arm pats are O.K.!

Photo:

2 comments:

  1. I say go with your instincts. Heck, talk to the kids in your class about it - why not? I hate this new rule in schools that makes it impossible to show normal gestures of affection to children. Many of us, as mothers, feel the way you do. It's natural to scruff a kid on the head or put your arm around their shoulders. And sit down in circle with first graders ...? they're sticking to your sides like glue before your butt hits the ground. Kids need affection more than ever before and now we're not supposed to show it to them. Maybe it's time for more teachers to start using their own instincts. Although I know that's probably a recipe for disaster ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One tiny girl gives teachers spontaneous karate-chop massages with no warning. Now, at least, she asks first: "You wanna massage?"

    ReplyDelete